ARM first & default LDC

Calvin P cloudlessapp at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 03:19:09 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 19 December 2020 at 19:51:37 UTC, IGotD- wrote:

> Basically, there are problems with DMD, sometimes crashes and
> has codegen bugs. Codegen bugs is definitely not something you
> want in a big project because they are time consuming.
>
> Thank you for posting real commercial experience with D. If I
> was a hard headed boss of the D project I would probably demand
> that the DMD backend would be scrapped and efforts should focus
> on stability with the support of GCC and LLVM backends.

+1

LDC build process is fast with LLVM installed, and you need LLVM
or GCC anyway if you are work on non-toy projects.

I do my developer process with LDC -O0 -g -fsanitize=address
-fsanitize=thread, use Makefile without DUB/druntime/phobos.
LLVM sanitizer made my work down quick and solid, and have multi
platform cross build is just awesome.

I use to like DMD fast build experience, the price is get some
hard to resolve mysterious bugs.  Then I refactor my work without
use DUB/druntime/Phobos, I still get keep the lightning build
speed and have multi platform ability with great code generate
quality.

In my opinion, Walter is artist and have power to performance the
magic.  Average Joe play DMD just like boy play toys.   There is
nothing wrong with that, just not suit for average Joe like me
made living from the jungle.