ARM first & default LDC

claptrap clap at trap.com
Sun Dec 20 10:19:22 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 19 December 2020 at 17:40:28 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 19.12.20 18:15, claptrap wrote:
>>
>> 2. People could just add it to LLVM if they want i think.
>> Might even be easier to write a whole new backend from
>> scratch, i dont know. IE. Not having DMD doesnt preclude the
>> benefit that Walter claims DMD gives us.
>>

> Building LLVM from scratch takes multiple hours. Building DMD
> from scratch (including backend) takes _seconds_.
>
> Why is it so hard to believe that this is a benefit that an
> actual compiler developer might care for? It's exactly the
> prevalence of this kind of common sense pragmatics that makes D
> so convenient to use despite all flaws. You lose that if you
> start adding dependencies on projects that lack it.

Tbh i never even thought about how long it takes to actually
build the compilers. When people talked about compile speed, i
thought they just meant how long DMD takes to compile something,
not how long it takes to compile DMD. I can agree 100% that would
be a hugely important issue, actually if something took 2 hours
to build i wouldn't even bother.