ARM first & default LDC

Jefferson jefferson.johnson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 15:19:36 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 20 December 2020 at 04:03:12 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 19.12.20 21:36, Jeeferson wrote:
>> On Saturday, 19 December 2020 at 17:40:28 UTC, Timon Gehr
>> wrote:

>>> Building LLVM from scratch takes multiple hours. Building DMD
>>> from scratch (including backend) takes _seconds_.
>>
>> Anyone that says LLVM takes multiple hours obviously hasn't
>> built it, or are using a 20 year old computer to build it.
>
> False. Maybe it improved in the meantime, maybe there were some
> missing flags to the cmake invocation. (Also, you are assuming
> the build just works if you follow the instructions.)

It's odd you label it false and then say you don't know what you
are doing. If you don't know what you are doing; you don't know
what you are doing.

Usually when speaking of compile times you do so using the
measurement that is actually quantifiable. I've helped
individuals that spent hours trying to figure out how to compile
DMD. It is better now that the build system changed to be
something more reasonable, but that wasn't always the case. Even
"small" projects have such problems when they use something
archaic :).

>> Once you build LLVM you don't build it again.
>
> My point was there's some value in simplifying initial setup.
> Git clone and get started. Dependencies on a huge C++ project
> can be more painful than not having those dependencies.

Have you even tried to compile DMD with druntime and phobos? It
is not that simple.

Since you like to take statements literally in an unreasonable
way. You think DMD's git supplies a linker? What do you think a
linker is? It doesn't have to be installed or there? It isn't a
dependency? There's always a dependency.

Anyone that has any experience with compilers already probably
has experience with LLVM and other "dependencies". So all of your
arguments are mute. You are making arguments for an imaginary
person that doesn't exist. Oh and person you take that literally
without putting any though into it, no beginners that just want
to try to mess around with the compiler aren't going to
contribute in any meaningful way, especially if they aren't
willing to put in the effort to learn.

>> The user base that compiles DMD is infinitely smaller than the
>> amount that use it.
>
> False, there's a positive number of people working on DMD (and
> they are the ones who actually decide what happens to the
> backend).

I mean there's no point going further if you can't differentiate
rhetorical statements. You really don't seem like a reasonable or
rationale person either, sorry.