Torus Trooper - old-school 3D shooter, written in D 15 years ago now running in WebAssembly

John Smith john at smith.tld
Tue Dec 22 19:15:02 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 22 December 2020 at 17:43:37 UTC, Dukc wrote:
> On Wednesday, 16 December 2020 at 22:03:48 UTC, Remi wrote:
>> Game is playable there: https://torustrooper.xyz/
>>
>> Code is there: https://github.com/speps/tt/
>>
>> Making of blog post:
>> https://speps.fr/articles/torus-trooper-part1
>
> Also on Hacker News:

"The D programming language was trendy for a bit, 15 years ago.
Now it's just old tech people make blogs about reviving retro
games as a gimmick. It never got substantial traction because it
sat half way between Java and C++ in a way programmers from
neither camp would switch to it. Rust is fundamentally different,
it attacks C++ at its heart and is not only a better language,
but a superior programming platform. In a few years the ecosystem
will be large enough that there are no reasons for anyone to
choose C++ anymore, and at that point, what is the relevance of
D?"

"I still love D but with the standardization of C++11 and the
rise of Go and Rust, D won't have a chance again."

"The Python 2-to-3 transition worked because Python is too big to
fail. D has never reached that momentum. Rust is a more modern
language in comparison to D and the trend will continue without
D3. Also the drama back to ~2009 was pretty bad and the community
got hurt. Three of my colleagues wrote long programs in D but
have abandoned the ship."

"I say this in all seriousness: this is probably a mistake, and
the Dlang crew should make plans to exploit the opportunity to do
a D3/3D release to the greatest extent possible—if only for
marketing purposes and while holding onto the secret that there
are no breaking changes involved."