Torus Trooper - old-school 3D shooter, written in D 15 years ago now running in WebAssembly

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Dec 23 22:03:42 UTC 2020

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 01:16:43AM +0000, Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> There's no way we can ever eliminate this sort of talk. No matter what
> we do in the D community, no matter the progress we make, there will
> *always* be naysayers.

To put it more in perspective, in *every* language community there are
naysayers.  Some of us are arguably C/C++/Java/etc. naysayers, for
example. ;-)

> The best any of us can do is to keep working toward making that
> progress happen.

+1.  Talk is cheap, whining is actually free.  But actually contributing
towards progress is what counts.

> I've been in the D community for 17 years and it has been "dying" or
> "irrelevant" or "a toy language" for that entire time Yet the language
> has continued to improve, the community has continued to grow, and
> it's the language those who stick around want to use. I learned long
> ago to ignore the noise and to focus on the work I want to do and on
> how I can do more to contribute. Some minds can be changed, but most
> never will.

Labels like "irrelevant" or "dying" mean nothing to me.  I use what I
find useful, and discard what I don't find useful, who cares what people
say about it.  So what if "people" find Java or C++ "more relevant" --
maybe it's more relevant to them, more power to them -- to me, Java is
counterproductive while D is much more useful and productive.  Let the
naysayers say nay, while I save my breath for actually writing code in
the language of my choice.  :-D

> And it's up to us to reach those whose minds can be changed. Every
> blog post, every tweet, every project we reference in a social media
> comment thread, has the potential to bring more people into the
> community. Some percentage of them will stay and some percentage of
> those will become contributors. And all the while comments like the
> above will appear on reddit and HN. Though in my experience, reddit
> and HN threads these days tend to be net positive more often than they
> used to be.
[...]

I've surreptitiously inserted mentions of D on reddit on various
occasions.  When not brought up in a confrontational context, it
actually does draw people's interest. They may not convert immediately,
but these little positive impressions do add up over time.  Maybe one
day they'll take an active interest.  But being pushy or confrontational
usually turns people off.

Those who don't understand D are condemned to reinvent it, poorly. -- Daniel N