Can D used for BIG-HUGE projects?

Deslt deslt.desmond at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 22:23:42 UTC 2020

On Monday, 21 December 2020 at 20:16:24 UTC, sighoya wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 December 2020 at 09:13:00 UTC, Godnyx wrote:
>>"we can't convince Walter"
>
> D powerful but conservative these days regarding feature
> implementations that change the lang. This can be good or bad.
> Most of the time, I feel this is right (especially relating to
> D's simple grammar), but not always. But this is an issue in
> each language these days and D don't want to become the next
> C++.

Whenever I hear this spoken, it isn't only about adding a new
feature. It is just general project management as well. It seems
the D team has trouble removing old broken legacy code/tools
because Walter doesn't want to remove it. Even things like just
refactoring code to make it easier to read and maintain. Hell
Andrei wrote up a whole page when they finally replaced the
broken make files.

Another good example was someone that does work with D
professional posting their experience with D's release
versioning. How there's no long term or stable support. A big
project is going to be maintained for a long time. Walter's
response was that D doesn't need it.

This inhibits growth and I definitely wouldn't recommend using D
for a big project for this reason. Unless you want to deal with
completely avoidable headaches cause one person couldn't be
convinced.