Fixing dub search

sarn sarn at theartofmachinery.com
Mon Dec 28 20:49:12 UTC 2020

On Monday, 28 December 2020 at 10:49:58 UTC, aberba wrote:
> To fix this, a real search engine is needed. ElasticSearch is
> an overkill for what we need... basic accurate string search.
>
> Solution: use MeiliSearch. It's very lightweight and fast (1GB
> vps is more than enough). Very easy to use... just a REST API
> call. I already have a package for meilisearch on dub.

ElasticSearch also has a simple REST API and would do this job on
whatever hardware we'd realistically use.  I'm not a huge ES fan,
personally, but do you have more reasons to dismiss it as
overkill and recommend MeiliSearch instead?

The best place for discussion is here, though:
https://github.com/dlang/dub-registry/issues/93

But I have to say something again: please, please, please, I beg,
consider using an embedded search tool before adding an external
server (or, worse, an external SaaS) as a runtime dependency to
the dub registry.  There are only a few thousand packages, and
they don't update much.  Even grepping the whole dataset every
request would be fast enough (just not featureful enough).