ARM first & default LDC

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Wed Dec 30 13:30:58 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 29 December 2020 at 21:25:37 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:

> I wonder what amount of funding would be needed for a first
> version of an ARM back end for DMD.

I guess you'd first need to define what is ARM for DMD?  Is it
ARM or Apple?  Treating both as a distinction would be really
important, as the former has more multilib and ABI combinations
than there are moons in the solar system.

> More generally I don't think D is growing too slowly.  If
> anything if you zoom out the time horizon, I think many of the
> causes of frustration amongst some users in fact reflects the
> fact that it can take time for organisation to catch up with
> growth. It takes time, energy and committed and talented people
> to build organisation and these things take the time they take,
> particularly with an open source endeavour.

I think it would be a fair observation to say that as of recent D
has probably been both at the same time - moving fast at a
glacial pace.  There are some big things on the horizon for sure
that have been brewing for some time now, though not necessarily
have been at the fore on people's radar.