ARM first & default LDC

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 16:22:27 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 30 December 2020 at 16:18:34 UTC, Max Haughton
wrote:
> Space optimizing still requires quite a lot of time eliminating
> work, although LLVM is still pretty bad at it specifically - if
> you give a recursive factorial implementation to LLVM, it can't
> see the overflow's going to happen to so  it will (at O3) give
> you about 100 SIMD instructions rather than a simple loop.

:-D I wasn't aware of that.

Yes, but I guess one could start with a non-optimizing SSA based
backend with the intent of improving it later, but a focus on
space optimization. At least it could be competitive in a niche
rather than a lesser version of llvm...