DIP 1027--String Interpolation--Final Review Discussion Thread

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 21:57:15 UTC 2020

On 2/4/20 8:44 AM, jmh530 wrote:
> On Tuesday, 4 February 2020 at 12:47:28 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> As I expected, this was rejected, and Walter didn't understand what I
>> was saying, says we shouldn't bake % into the format specification (it
>> doesn't), and that it's like AST macros (it's not). Since there's no
>> arguing on the feedback thread, I didn't want to push it.
>>

> Several people seem to think it is an important proposal, so I wouldn't
> want you to get discouraged.

I've been involved in many discussions like this with Walter, and it's
not something I plan to do in this case. Once he makes up his mind, the
chances that I can convince him otherwise shrink to almost non-existent,
and it's not worth the effort IMO.

> However, when you say "Walter didn't
> understand what I was saying", another way to look at it is "I didn't
> communicate this well enough to convince Walter".

Possibly, but his response looks like he's trying to intentionally avoid
discussing the proposal at all (most of the points were obviously
incorrect, which leads me to believe that he would rather not discuss
the actual proposal). I don't have lots of time to argue with people who
aren't open to discussion.

-Steve