DIP 1027--String Interpolation--Final Review Discussion Thread

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 00:01:53 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 4 February 2020 at 22:38:59 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> [snip]
>
> @jmh530: Have you read all the arguments made? Do you really
> think they are not compelling enough to at least warrant being
> addressed?

I've read each version of the DIP and all the arguments.
Admittedly, if I don't understand why something's important, I
skim (and I did a bit of skimming on this topic as it's not super
important to me).

I think my confusion was more basic and related to the DIP
itself, rather than the addendum. For instance, if I have a
function
void foo(string x) {}
then I would have expected to be able to pass an interpolated
string literal to it just as in any other. However, a closer
reading of this DIP suggests that is not intended.