DIP 1027--String Interpolation--Final Review Discussion Thread

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 02:59:14 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 5 February 2020 at 02:44:53 UTC, Jonathan Marler
wrote:
> In my opinion, your DIP is the right way to do interpolated
> strings in D.

so I put the author in there as "D community team effort" because
it was your implementation of the tuple thing that changed my
mind on interpolation being of any value to D at all, and IIRC
you based that implementation on someone else's initial write up.
And then of course in this thread, Steven changed my mind away
from another idea and toward the core of what was here, and
others too for a bunch of input.

And yes, even Walter's DIP introducing the format string thing is
actually a really solid idea too - the printf compatibility is
legit cool just because we *can*, and this will also aid
compatibility with things like gnu getline among others, and the
format string wrapper enables `ref` parameters, which I'm still a
little iffy on... but that's something none of my previous
encapsulation ideas would have been able to do. This is really a
very small tweak from what he had.

So it is not *my* proposal. It is *our* proposal. We should all
share in the credit...

...and all unite on insisting that leadership take our voices
seriously.