DIP 1027--String Interpolation--Final Review Discussion Thread

Johannes Loher johannes.loher at fg4f.de
Wed Feb 5 09:15:07 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 5 February 2020 at 06:48:43 UTC, Arine wrote:

>     string v = i"value = $value";
>
> A user isn't going to expect that to be:
>
>     string v = ("value = %s", value);

This still boggles my mind. I know that you can simply write

string v = i"value = $value".format;

instead but this is not what anybody who already knows about
string interpolation from any other language will expect. It is
really weird to have a string syntax (i"") where the result of
such an expression is not actually a string (or at the very least
implicitly convertible to one).

Do we really want D to be the odd one out in this case?