Reasons to use D (over alternatives like Rust)

Arine arine123445128843 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 18:49:13 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 5 February 2020 at 05:32:42 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On the other hand, you can port borrow-correct code to D
> without changing algorithms and data structures. In fact, I
> recommend learning how to write borrow-correct code, and using
> such as a matter of course. But D won't make you do it.

That'd be like saying, why use @safe, you can port all @safe code
to @system and it'll be easier to write. Just learn how to write
@safe code without @safe. The user can't be trusted to write
correct safe code, that's why the compiler has to be able to
check it.

If you are using the GC, then there's no point to writing
borrow-correct code. You are just wasting your time. The whole
purpose of borrow-correct code is to not use a GC. A GC solves
the same problems, it just has it's own downsides.

It does take time and effort, but the result is usually better
performance and safety.

https://blog.discordapp.com/why-discord-is-switching-from-go-to-rust-a190bbca2b1f

That's not the only company that's switched to rust that has seen
it's benefits either.