3 months of waiting...

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 16:50:32 UTC 2020

On 2/6/20 11:26 AM, berni44 wrote:
> Last week, I was quite disappointed when no one replied on my
> anouncement of a new website about D (meanwhile there are three replies,
> one negative, two positive, but it's somewhat too late).

Many here don't speak German, and while it's cool that there's a new
website that I can't really read (honestly didn't even click on it), you
did not exactly solicit feedback on the announcement. Is there no
activity there?

> I'm also
> waiting for almost three months now for a review of my PRs concerning
> replacing sprintf (just doing thumbs up isn't enough). Together this
> made me quite sad.

I've seen the PR and that stuff is way out of my league. So while I've
looked at quite a few of your PRs (and merged some I think) and I was
very glad to have you in there fixing stuff, I think it's a bit much to
expect something so technically complex that few understand to receive a
thorough review by everyone. There's a reason we use sprintf for floats
-- it's a hard problem. I hope it's valid and gets merged at some point,
but I really can't help except give a thumbs up.

> So I decided to stay away for a week to calm down and to have time to
> think about this. Finally I came to the conclusion, that I do not fit in
> this community. So I will leave.

That's too bad, I think your advent of bug fixes was an awesome
initiative. One thing that is true about open source volunteer work,
it's mostly thankless, and generally there are not enough people to work
on it as it is. Sometimes good and productive people find that
incompatible with their requirements, but I don't know how we could
possibly fix that.

> I kept all PRs open, because I think they are all ripe to be merged
> (there is one, where n8sh commented in the last week and his suggestions
> should be added), but I will neither care for them anymore. Close them,
> use them or continue to ignore them; I don't mind.

Thank you for leaving them open!

> Recently I was working on a complete rewrite of the documentation of
> std.format with some improvements, bug fixes and stuff. I added also
> unittests to verify the documentation. It's still work in progress, but
> it's about 80% finished. Again I will not continue work on this. But I
> uploaded it on github [1]. You can use it, if you like.

Thanks for your time and effort.

-Steve