3 months of waiting...

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Feb 6 20:29:31 UTC 2020

On 2/6/2020 8:26 AM, berni44 wrote:
> Last week, I was quite disappointed when no one replied on my anouncement of a
> new website about D (meanwhile there are three replies, one negative, two
> positive, but it's somewhat too late). I'm also waiting for almost three months
> now for a review of my PRs concerning replacing sprintf (just doing thumbs up
> isn't enough). Together this made me quite sad.
>
> So I decided to stay away for a week to calm down and to have time to think
> about this. Finally I came to the conclusion, that I do not fit in this
> community. So I will leave.
>
> I kept all PRs open, because I think they are all ripe to be merged (there is
> one, where n8sh commented in the last week and his suggestions should be added),
> but I will neither care for them anymore. Close them, use them or continue to
> ignore them; I don't mind.
>
> Recently I was working on a complete rewrite of the documentation of std.format
> with some improvements, bug fixes and stuff. I added also unittests to verify
> the documentation. It's still work in progress, but it's about 80% finished.
> Again I will not continue work on this. But I uploaded it on github [1]. You can
> use it, if you like.
>
> Bye bye
>
> [1] https://github.com/berni44/phobos/blob/formatS/std/format.d

For reference (Phobos):

9 open:

https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pulls/berni44

70 merged:

https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pulls?q=is%3Apr+author%3Aberni44+is%3Aclosed

It does look like you've got a solid track record of success. Thank you!

-----------------

This one is always going to be a tough one:

https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/7264

Floating point code is extremely difficult to get right, and contains a lot of
very subtle traps for the unwary. (It's why people are still writing research
papers on formatting floating point numbers.) If there's a mistake in it that
subtly breaks someone's floating point code, it would cause them to not trust D.
Just finding someone capable of reviewing it thoroughly would be very difficult
for any community.

It's a bit harsh, but when working on this sort of thing that comes with the
territory.

One thing you can do when things are being overlooked is to get behind and push.
I often do that - people don't just pull things because I wrote them.