DIP 1027--String Interpolation--Final Review Discussion Thread

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 23:37:53 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 6 February 2020 at 16:03:54 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> This is a good point. I'll add also that every string
> interpolation would result in a new type (which has a cost).

A fairly small cost in exchange for a larger benefit (seamless
compile time checking of format strings!).

Template explosion in D *is* a problem in other places, but very
unlikely to be here, because there'd be one template per builder,
not n-squared or even n-factorial per builder argument list
length as can easily happen with template metaprogramming and
voldemort type mangling.

So I doubt it would apply here anyway. And if it did, we can
cross that when we come to it.