A new member of the D Lang community and GSoC aspirant

Petar Petar
Fri Feb 7 17:38:01 UTC 2020

On Friday, 7 February 2020 at 11:52:17 UTC, Mir H. S. Quadri
wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am a new member at this forum. I am super excited to get
> started with contributing to D lang. D lang is a great language
> with so much potential.
>
> I am currently pursuing a Master's degree in Artificial
> Intelligence and I aspire to be a part of GSoC this year. I
> came across the D lang repository from the previous year
> organisations list on the GSoC website. I have always had a
> dream of contributing to a programming language. How cool is
> that right?!!
>
> Anyway, GSoC aside, I think I have already found the first
> contribution that I would like to make to D Lang. It is to add
> another language to tour.dlang.com. The language that I want to
> add is Urdu. Urdu is an asian language and originates from the
> subcontinent of India. It is also spoken by the majority of
> people in Pakistan and other countries surrounding India. It is
> a vibrant language spoken by over 100 million people in the
> world.
>
> Making the tutorials for tour.dlang.com available in Urdu will
> have a great impact and outreach as many people from the
> subcontinent aspire to be engineers and programmers. Making the
> tutorials available in their native tongue is a good idea.
>
> I would really appreciate it if someone can list out the steps
> to take in this regard.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Hello and welcome aboard!

I agree that a great way to start contributing is to translate
the tour in another language for all the reasons you mentioned.

I am one of the maintainers of the dlang-tour project and I went
ahead and created a repository to help you get started:
https://github.com/dlang-tour/urdu

For now it's just a copy-paste of the English version. The
process is as follows:
1. Clone the repository [1] locally.
2. Follow the instructions from language repo [1] and the core
[2] on how to run the tour locally, so you could preview your
changes.
3. Translate file-by-file. Open a pull-request on GitHub for each
translated chapter (file). It's best to start with a single
translated file, so you can get feedback on the process as soon
as possible. After you get the hang of it I will grant you write
permissions to the language repo [1] so you can continue working
without our supervision.
4. As soon as you feel there's enough of the repo translated to
be presentable, ping us either by opening an issue on the core
repo [2] or by opening a thread here on the forums and we will
open a pull request to add your language repo as a git submodule
(e.g. like this: [3]). At this point your language would be
available to read online at this URL:
https://tour.dlang.org/tour/ur (ur is the ISO 639-1 language
abbreviation).

I hope this helps!