3 months of waiting...

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Mon Feb 10 11:23:16 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 8 February 2020 at 17:21:04 UTC, Jonathan Marler
wrote:
> for 32-bit floats it doesn't take too long to do an exhaustive
> test (maybe 30 minutes or so).  I did this with my port of the
> "ryu" float to string implementation
> (https://github.com/dragon-lang/mar/blob/master/src/mar/ryu.d).
>  That being said, an exhaustive 64-bit test may not finish
> until the inevitable heat death of the universe :)

It feels intuitively that there's got to be a more effective way
of approaching this than brute-forcing all the cases, or randomly
selecting a sufficient subset.

I would anticipate that there has to be a well-defined subset of
cases such that, if the formatter works for those, it'll work for
everything else.

(Yes, I get that in this case you're trying to compare the
behaviour of 2 different functions, but I think the principle
should still apply.)