DIP 1030--Named Arguments--Community Review Round 1 Discussion

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Mon Feb 10 20:23:48 UTC 2020

On Monday, 10 February 2020 at 19:38:34 UTC, Manu wrote:

> I don't have any horse in this race... but I do just want to
> echo that
> I don't understand this feature at all.
> I don't know what it's for. I've never felt I wanted named
> arguments

It's about my thoughts too. I think the question that needs to be
solved by named parameters isn't strong enough.

Optional named parameters are handy but D already offers a
variety of methods in order to pass those.

My fear as already other people pointed out is that named
arguments will give D split personality. Some people adore named
arguments and will use them for everything and others will not
touch them. Libraries will use either methods and therefore make
D feel schizophrenic.

Also what would the implementation complexity be if this would be
implemented?