DIP 1030--Named Arguments--Community Review Round 1 Discussion

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 09:46:35 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 11 February 2020 at 09:27:52 UTC, Andrea Fontana
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 February 2020 at 09:18:38 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi
> wrote:
>> On Monday, 10 February 2020 at 22:20:21 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In D, this is the most trivial type of breakage - the
>>> compiler tells you where the change is and can make a good
>>> guess as to what the fix is too and can suggest it.
>>>

>> That's true, but it's an hell when involving libraries: an
>> external library author changes a parameter names, and break
>> not only your codebase, that you can easily fix, but also
>> other external libraries, and so on.
>>
>> It's a cascade process.
>
> If package dependencies are used correctly nothing is break :)
>
> Andrea

What I mean, is that multiple authors can be involved in the
necessary fix: it's not a matter of find/replace on your own
codebase.

Let's put It simple, and let's boil this down to essential:
there's MORE probability of FUTURE breakage with named
parameters, and that's a fact.