DIP 1030--Named Arguments--Community Review Round 1 Discussion

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 15:26:41 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 11 February 2020 at 15:10:35 UTC, 12345swordy wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 February 2020 at 15:05:48 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 11 February 2020 at 14:45:30 UTC, 12345swordy
>> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Probably I'm not able to explain myself clearly, so my fault
>> ... let's try in this way.
>>
>> [...]
>
> Then don't rename the arguments at all if you don't want to
> break userspace. Same principle goes to renaming functions.
>
> -Alex

That's exactly the point.

If you don't change anything, you break anything.

The more you _can_ change _without_ breaking other code is proper
encapsulation, and with this DIP the amount of things that you
_can't_ change is just increasing. Named arguments _enlarge_ the
amount of code that you are exposing and that you _can't_ change
without breaking someone else code.