newCTFE Status February 2020

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 22:35:08 UTC 2020

On 2/11/20 5:05 PM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 February 2020 at 20:45:26 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
>> Hi People,
>>
>> I promised that newCTFE would be released in 2020 and so far it seems
>> like I am going to make it!
>>
>> The current and hopefully last big feature I am implementing is
>> exception handling.
>>
>> Recently I've had a breakthrough, because I realized that exception
>> handling is very close to interrupts.
>> Since that realization progress is happing rapidly.
>>
>> I hope to be able to present it at dconf 2020.
>>

> I've been running into out-of-memory issues from compiling large
> projects lately.  Along with performance improvements, do you forsee
> this also helping memory usage?

I think it will help somewhat, but it depends on your application. You
can try the -lowmem switch which turns on the GC in the compiler. This
should alleviate CTFE memory problems.

In my case (I've been running into this recently), I was running out of
memory not from CTFE, but from template instantiations. Every little
template allocates some space in the symbol table which never goes away.
See my post here: https://forum.dlang.org/post/qrjls8$13je$1@digitalmars.com

Oh, and BTW, very much looking forward to newCTFE!

-Steve