DIP 1030--Named Arguments--Community Review Round 1 Discussion

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 22:31:35 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 at 21:53:32 UTC, Sasha wrote:
> Like I said above I'm curious about this feature, and why C/C++
> which have a bigger user base never bothered about adding this
> feature.
>
> Sasha.

The only official, publicly-available information I could find on
this [1] is frustratingly vague, but I did stumble across a
reddit thread [2] that discusses some of the potential issues.

One is that different implementations of the C and C++ standard
libraries can (and do) use different parameter names for the same
functions. Unless those names were standardized, any code that
called such functions using named arguments would not be portable
among different implementations. In D, this is not a problem,
because there is only one implementation of Phobos and Druntime,
so the names are de-facto standardized already.

[1]
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2014/n4327.html#150
[2]
https://www.reddit.com/r/cpp/comments/5mdes5/what_happened_to_the_named_parameter_proposal/