DIP 1030--Named Arguments--Community Review Round 1 Discussion

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Feb 14 04:02:51 UTC 2020

On 2/12/2020 6:00 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> And just those two messages next to each other, spell check or no, would
> probably clue the user in. I doubt this will even need additional code, but
> nevertheless, given the importance of good error messages to user productivity,
> I think all DIPs ought to have a section on diagnostics and any implementation
> should ensure it is addressed one way or another.

It's a good idea, but I've found it to be pragmatic to not worry much about
error message quality during the initial implementation, just focus on getting
the semantics right. (Doing great error messages often is a significant increase
in complexity.) Having some experience with the kinds of mistakes people tend to
make (and it isn't random) helps a lot to guide error message development.

Hence is it something for the future, and is premature to add in the DIP for the
feature. Doing it later also would not require a DIP.

Good error messages are always a work in progress.