DMD backend quality (Was: Re: DIP 1031--Deprecate Brace-Style Struct Initializers--Community Review Round 1 Discussion)

Basile B. b2.temp at gmx.com
Tue Feb 18 08:11:24 UTC 2020

On Monday, 17 February 2020 at 18:45:25 UTC, jxel wrote:
> On Monday, 17 February 2020 at 05:11:14 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> On 2/16/2020 7:02 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>>> (my personal experience btw is that bugzilla is where issues
>>> go to be ignored, lost, or forgotten for years.)
>>
>> Anyone can submit PRs to fix bugzilla issues, including you.
>
> That doesn't mean they will get merged. There's lots of PR open
> that have been open for years without any sort of feedback. Why
> would anybody waste their free time to simply have their work
> ignored?

This is not true. If a lot of PR are opened it's not because they
are ignored. There are plenty of valid reasons and none matches
to what your reductive POV.

- additional changes are requested but the author does not make
these changes ;
- the changes cannot be merged because they need to be rebased ;
- the changes cannot be merged until other another PR get merged
(label BLOCKED) ;
- the changes cannot be merged because they doesn't pass the test
suite ;
- the changes are not accepted, they don't follow the language
direction ;
- the PR is a draft or a WIP, so it get a bit ignored because the
author ask for it ;
- the changes are too big, hard to understand ;
- the author doesn't care anymore ;
- the changes were not approved explicitly but the author doesn't
close the PR ;
etc.

see
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+sort%3Acomments-asc

There is always at least one comment (excluding the one auto
generated by the bot)