What to do about stale or abandoned dub packages?

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Tue Feb 18 13:02:37 UTC 2020

On 19/02/2020 1:54 AM, ShadoLight wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 February 2020 at 12:48:58 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
>> 1) We can allow others to take ownership of packages in cases like
>> dlangui (manual process and requires getting the right people to agree)
>
> Can you elaborate? Does this requires getting agreement from the
> original author? How will this work when the person has disappeared?

I think in the earlier days of dub one or two packages may have been
deregistered or something along those lines.
But since you can just register your fork under a slightly different
name, its not a big deal.

That is as much as I should say, best for somebody who does have access
to say if they are willing to do it.

>> 2) dlangui has no active forks. As per
>> http://code.dlang.org/search?q=dlangui
>
> Not forked on http://code.dlang.org/. Forked on github i.e.
> https://github.com/buggins/dlangui/network/members

Unless it is registered on code.dlang.org, the repository owner probably
doesn't intend on you using it.

Keep in mind that people fork on Github for a number of reasons
including just keeping track of interesting repositories. That fork
number is not a good metric of potential developers who could maintain it.