DMD backend quality (Was: Re: DIP 1031--Deprecate Brace-Style Struct Initializers--Community Review Round 1 Discussion)

Dejan Lekic dejan.lekic at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 13:04:36 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 16 February 2020 at 00:16:24 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Of course, DMD is still very fast at compiling and useful for
> smaller utilities and script-like programs where performance
> isn't critical, or for running unittests for isolated modules
> during development due to fast turnaround times. But codegen
> quality is definitely not among the reasons I still use DMD.

I do not know about others, but I personally do not expect DMD to
be as performant as people would like it to be. As a REFERENCE
COMPILER I expect it to be as close to the current language
specification as possible. DMD does that beautifully, and on top
of that does a pretty good job at compiling code quite fast. I
can't ask for more! - If they optimize the codegen to generate
better code, that is fine, but not essential, as I use GCC
(others may prefer LDC) for release builds.