DMD backend quality (Was: Re: DIP 1031--Deprecate Brace-Style Struct Initializers--Community Review Round 1 Discussion)

drug drug2004 at bk.ru
Tue Feb 18 16:12:34 UTC 2020

On 2/18/20 6:30 PM, jxel wrote:

> The problem is that efforts are divided as a result. Work still has to
> be maintained on the backend. As someone showed there's multiple PR that
> have stagnated because no one is willing to look at them that modify the
> backend to comply with the C ABI. Bugs that have been open for years.
> Bugs that don't exist in LDC, even though that's basically being
> maintained by one person. If people want a fast backend, you can build a
> custom backend for performance in LLVM, a few projects have done this
> already. But honestly that's a waste of time. The slowest part of D is
> the frontend and CTFE not the backend in LDC. That's not even mentioning
> the constant out of memory problems I experience and have to try to
> optimize the compiler for with my code.

IMO you are wrong if you think that dropping dmd will increase man power
in ldc/gdc land. Who wants to contribute to ldc/gdc already doing it. It
is open source - people contribute to projects they like, you can not
tell them what to do. Efforts are not divided - if dmd would be dropped
people who doesn't contribute to ldc/gdc won't start doing that.