Documentation Improvement Initiative

bachmeier no at spam.net
Wed Feb 19 17:09:02 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 19 February 2020 at 16:37:41 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 February 2020 at 11:15:33 UTC, Les De Ridder
> wrote:
>> A large part of this can probably be fixed through CSS
>> changes, though.
>
> If you send me a concept sketch or css suggestion we can talk
> about it.
>
> I have a somewhat long list of things that I'm not happy with,
> though any fix for those needs to not break the things that do
> work... and the problem I've had isn't so much identifying the
> problems as finding the solutions.
>
> So I'd prefer specific fix ideas over general "I don't like
> this" things.

If it's going to become the official documentation, it needs to
match the existing website 100%. That's not currently the case.

The other thing that immediately stands out to me when I click a
random project's documentation, like this:
https://hunt-database.dpldocs.info/hunt.html
is that the page doesn't contain a lot of information. This
https://dlang.org/phobos/std_range.html
is much more approachable. Maybe that can be avoided, I don't
know, but the first example doesn't bring me joy.

I'm not the biggest fan of all the information on this page
(comparing apples to apples now):
http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/std.range.html
I think it would be better to be able to click to expand if you
want information about types. iota, for instance, is cluttered
but the extra information doesn't bring much to the table.

I also don't understand why the functions are listed twice.