DMD backend quality (Was: Re: DIP 1031--Deprecate Brace-Style Struct Initializers--Community Review Round 1 Discussion)

NaN divide at by.zero
Wed Feb 19 19:08:45 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 18 February 2020 at 16:12:34 UTC, drug wrote:
> On 2/18/20 6:30 PM, jxel wrote:
>>

> IMO you are wrong if you think that dropping dmd will increase
> man power in ldc/gdc land. Who wants to contribute to ldc/gdc
> already doing it. It is open source - people contribute to
> projects they like, you can not tell them what to do. Efforts
> are not divided - if dmd would be dropped people who doesn't
> contribute to ldc/gdc won't start doing that.

Yes dropping DMD wont suddenly move a bunch of developers over to
LDC. But over time if LDC is the official compiler, new users,
developers, contributors are more likely to work on LDC related
issues if thats where they've been guided from day 1. Yes people
work on what they need or interests them, but change the focus to
LDC, and eventually what people need and are interested in doing
is more likely to be there than on DMD.

I cant believe people are so short sighted on this.