DMD backend quality (Was: Re: DIP 1031--Deprecate Brace-Style Struct Initializers--Community Review Round 1 Discussion)

12345swordy alexanderheistermann at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 20:04:22 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 19 February 2020 at 19:36:38 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 February 2020 at 19:08:45 UTC, NaN wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 18 February 2020 at 16:12:34 UTC, drug wrote:
>>> On 2/18/20 6:30 PM, jxel wrote:
>>>>

>>> IMO you are wrong if you think that dropping dmd will
>>> increase man power in ldc/gdc land. Who wants to contribute
>>> to ldc/gdc already doing it. It is open source - people
>>> contribute to projects they like, you can not tell them what
>>> to do. Efforts are not divided - if dmd would be dropped
>>> people who doesn't contribute to ldc/gdc won't start doing
>>> that.
>>
>> Yes dropping DMD wont suddenly move a bunch of developers over
>> to LDC. But over time if LDC is the official compiler, new
>> users, developers, contributors are more likely to work on LDC
>> related issues if thats where they've been guided from day 1.
>> Yes people work on what they need or interests them, but
>> change the focus to LDC, and eventually what people need and
>> are interested in doing is more likely to be there than on DMD.
>>
>> I cant believe people are so short sighted on this.
>
> What does "dropping DMD" mean?
It means dropping the backend DMD code generator, and use llvm as
a backend instead.

Personally I think the frontend and the backend need to be
separate projects. It quite clear that the backend is walter
baby, and it better for him to work and improve on it on his own
accord without have to wait for pr approval from other people.

-Alex