DMD backend quality (Was: Re: DIP 1031--Deprecate Brace-Style Struct Initializers--Community Review Round 1 Discussion)

NaN divide at by.zero
Thu Feb 20 01:11:08 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 19 February 2020 at 19:36:38 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 February 2020 at 19:08:45 UTC, NaN wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 18 February 2020 at 16:12:34 UTC, drug wrote:
>>> On 2/18/20 6:30 PM, jxel wrote:
>>>>

>>> IMO you are wrong if you think that dropping dmd will
>>> increase man power in ldc/gdc land. Who wants to contribute
>>> to ldc/gdc already doing it. It is open source - people
>>> contribute to projects they like, you can not tell them what
>>> to do. Efforts are not divided - if dmd would be dropped
>>> people who doesn't contribute to ldc/gdc won't start doing
>>> that.
>>
>> Yes dropping DMD wont suddenly move a bunch of developers over
>> to LDC. But over time if LDC is the official compiler, new
>> users, developers, contributors are more likely to work on LDC
>> related issues if thats where they've been guided from day 1.
>> Yes people work on what they need or interests them, but
>> change the focus to LDC, and eventually what people need and
>> are interested in doing is more likely to be there than on DMD.
>>
>> I cant believe people are so short sighted on this.
>
> What does "dropping DMD" mean? Are you going to go around
> breaking kneecaps if you catch someone working on DMD? It's an
> open source project and people who want to work on it are going
> to work on it.

I assume "dropping DMD" just means making LDC the main reference
compiler instead of DMD.

It's not about forcing anyone to do anything, it's about
perception, for example new users will almost always start with
the official compiler. So you start to build more user base
around LDC, and over time, if the d core team is focused in that
direction, most people will follow suit.