DMD backend quality (Was: Re: DIP 1031--Deprecate Brace-Style Struct Initializers--Community Review Round 1 Discussion)

jxel jxel at gmall.com
Thu Feb 20 03:35:13 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 20 February 2020 at 01:54:45 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 01:11:08AM +0000, NaN via Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 19 February 2020 at 19:36:38 UTC, bachmeier
>> wrote:
> [...]
>> > What does "dropping DMD" mean? Are you going to go around
>> > breaking kneecaps if you catch someone working on DMD? It's
>> > an open source project and people who want to work on it are
>> > going to work on it.
>>
>> I assume "dropping DMD" just means making LDC the main
>> reference compiler instead of DMD.
>>
>> It's not about forcing anyone to do anything, it's about
>> perception, for example new users will almost always start
>> with the official compiler. So you start to build more user
>> base around LDC, and over time, if the d core team is focused
>> in that direction, most people will follow suit.
> [...]
>
> Good luck getting Walter to agree to abandoning DMD and working
> on LDC instead.

No body expect him to. Just how the official DMD isn't built with
LDC, why there isn't a 64 bit version of DMD on Windows, why
Optlink is still even a thing, why restrictions are placed in DMD
to workaround an Optlink bug instead of fixing it. No one expects
these things to change. What seems like common sense means
nothing to someone stubborn and blinded by pride.