DMD backend quality (Was: Re: DIP 1031--Deprecate Brace-Style Struct Initializers--Community Review Round 1 Discussion)

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 13:11:21 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 20 February 2020 at 06:08:03 UTC, Seb wrote:

> "Funnily" we changed the defaults for dub (one can't build
> anything with optlink, no vibe.d, no phobos etc. anyhow) more
> than a year ago and people are fine with dub using LLD (like
> LDC) and thus being able to have more than 32k symbols in their
> entire program, getting a 64-bit binary by default and not
> being linked with an ancient, full of well-known and decade-old
> bugs custom-brew Digitalmars libc.

Hello,

Reading the discussion, it seems something undervalued is the
morale of contributors.

Getting and _keeping_ contributors is of paramount importance to
open-source software. Some say that metric dwarf the importance
of _having users_, and is the only real health metrics of a
project.

Please (D leadership) consider keeping contributors happy, even
if that means dropping a backend or OPTLINK or both. Projects
that nly person understand can be "unbabyfied" with
documentation/Wiki/years of contribution, but not having the
problem in the first place is much easier.