DMD backend quality (Was: Re: DIP 1031--Deprecate Brace-Style Struct Initializers--Community Review Round 1 Discussion)

Mathias Lang pro.mathias.lang at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 16:05:38 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 20 February 2020 at 13:11:21 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Thursday, 20 February 2020 at 06:08:03 UTC, Seb wrote:
>>
>> "Funnily" we changed the defaults for dub (one can't build
>> anything with optlink, no vibe.d, no phobos etc. anyhow) more
>> than a year ago and people are fine with dub using LLD (like
>> LDC) and thus being able to have more than 32k symbols in
>> their entire program, getting a 64-bit binary by default and
>> not being linked with an ancient, full of well-known and
>> decade-old bugs custom-brew Digitalmars libc.
>
> Hello,
>
> Reading the discussion, it seems something undervalued is the
> morale of contributors.
>
> Getting and _keeping_ contributors is of paramount importance
> to open-source software. Some say that metric dwarf the
> importance of _having users_, and is the only real health
> metrics of a project.
>
> Please (D leadership) consider keeping contributors happy, even
> if that means dropping a backend or OPTLINK or both. Projects
> that nly person understand can be "unbabyfied" with
> documentation/Wiki/years of contribution, but not having the
> problem in the first place is much easier.

To be the devil's advocate, no one has contributed to D longer
than Walter, and in the 20+ year he's been working on D, I'm sure
he's seen countless contributors coming and going, many of them
proposed ideas they considered improvements.

Everyone has a their own, often conflicting, vision of what is
"the right way". We had many people saying "deprecate scope
class" (myself included), we let it happen, and then one of the
biggest commercial user steps in and said "Hey guys we're using
this feature, like, a lot...". It surely makes you reflect on the
silent majority. This is one example out of many where we went
one way, and things didn't quite work out as expected.
As you cannot satisfy everyone, keeping people happy is not a
reliable metric.

This is not to say that I think everything is going as it should.
I do think that there is a lot to gain with dropping homegrown
alternative to mainstream utilities (DM Make, optlink, DMD's
backend...).
But we made immense progress over the years, as some very large
projects have been tackled (conversion of DMD to D), and others
have been approved but not yet championed (moving from Bugzilla
to DMD).

Perhaps improving communication among core contributors could
help with reaching agreement on such large project. From what
I've seen, this is not a problem that is unique to D.