DMD backend quality (Was: Re: DIP 1031--Deprecate Brace-Style Struct Initializers--Community Review Round 1 Discussion)

Dibyendu Majumdar d.majumdar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 20:35:16 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 20 February 2020 at 06:34:45 UTC, Seb wrote:

> In my opinion DMD is only the default because switching
> development efforts to LDC would be a rather big initial cost
> (time investment) to setup/change the infrastructure and no one
> wants to head this effort.
>
>> if the d core team is focused in that direction, most people
>> will follow suit.
>
> I would switch in a heartbeat and I am fairly confident to
> estimate that the same applies to almost all remaining active
> contributors who haven't left yet because of frustration.

I used to think that the backend should be abandoned in favour of
LLVM but no more. I think it is worth having a fast backend. I
was surprised how quickly dmd can be compiled compared to LLVM.

It is excellent for a language designer to have full control over
the implementation too as it helps play with ideas without having
to fight with external libraries.

Regards