Money type

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 19:25:08 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 2 January 2020 at 19:12:11 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> I've never had a reason to avoid integers for performance
> reasons, but I suppose there are cases in which it's relevant...

Scripting languages try to keep things simple, so having only one
numeric type is an advantage from an implementation point of
view. So, not really for performance.

However, if you mean fixed point integers, then you need a rather
big bit width to avoid overflow errors to do the same
calculations as with floating point. And it is easy to make
mistakes, but older DSPs didn't have floating point units so they
used fixed point math (and also older computer games) and
programmers had to be very clever to make it perform well with
good accuracy. In some ways fixed point is more tiresome than
writing in assembly if you try to do something nontrivial.

E.g. in fixed point you would have to do 3% of 123 as
(123*3+50)/100... Or 3.14% of 123 as (123*314+5000)/1000. Except
division is slow so you would instead convert the divisor into a
reciprocal and do a multiply instead (modern compilers do this
for you if the divisor is known at compile time). So if the
percentage isn't known at compile time you have much work to do
as a programmer to get it right...