DIP 1028---Make @safe the Default---Community Review Round 1

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Thu Jan 2 21:55:20 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 2 January 2020 at 09:47:48 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> This is the feedback thread for the first round of Community
> Review for DIP 1028, "Make @safe the Default":
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/1b705f8d4faa095d6d9e3a1b81d6cfa6d688554b/DIPs/DIP1028.md
>
> All review-related feedback on and discussion of the DIP should
> occur in this thread. The review period will end at 11:59 PM ET
> on January 16, or when I make a post declaring it complete.
>
> At the end of Round 1, if further review is deemed necessary,
> the DIP will be scheduled for another round of Community
> Review. Otherwise, it will be queued for the Final Review and
> Formal Assessment.
>
> Anyone intending to post feedback in this thread is expected to
> be familiar with the reviewer guidelines:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/docs/guidelines-reviewers.md
>
> *Please stay on topic!*
>
> Thanks in advance to all who participate.

Since this breaks virtually all code out there I suggest that
safe by default will be a compiler option only. Anyone who wants
the functions to be safe by default must specify so in the
compiler options or the build system.

Also many people here don't care about this "safe" trend right
now. The feature is good but cannot be enforced because of
backwards compatibility. Maybe in D3.