DIP 1028---Make @safe the Default---Community Review Round 1

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 01:46:20 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 2 January 2020 at 21:29:48 UTC, JN wrote:
> encounter a crash, usually all you have to do is just go over
> the unsafe sections (which should be rare and limited in size)
> to find the culprit.

or just open the debugger and it tells you exactly where it
happened.

I'm slightly in favor of this dip, I've said before that as it
is, the annotations are more hassle than they are worth, but
think the swapped defaults would push it slightly over the edge.
(I kinda feel the same about pure, nothrow, etc but it does get
murkier there, especially since there's no equivalent to @system
and @trusted there!)

But the aid in debugging I don't think would help that much, it
would be more about just making it lower cost for small library
functions to adopt them, which would hopefully fan up to to other
levels too.