DIP 1028---Make @safe the Default---Community Review Round 1

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 13:43:27 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 7:50 PM Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> This is the feedback thread for the first round of Community
> Review for DIP 1028, "Make @safe the Default":
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/1b705f8d4faa095d6d9e3a1b81d6cfa6d688554b/DIPs/DIP1028.md
>
> All review-related feedback on and discussion of the DIP should
> occur in this thread. The review period will end at 11:59 PM ET
> on January 16, or when I make a post declaring it complete.
>
> At the end of Round 1, if further review is deemed necessary, the
> DIP will be scheduled for another round of Community Review.
> Otherwise, it will be queued for the Final Review and Formal
> Assessment.
>
> Anyone intending to post feedback in this thread is expected to
> be familiar with the reviewer guidelines:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/docs/guidelines-reviewers.md
>
> *Please stay on topic!*
>
> Thanks in advance to all who participate.

FWIW, I'm not emotional about this, but it seems like a really good
opportunity to change @system to @unsafe, since @system appears almost
nowhere in existing code (because is default).
'system' is a weird name for 'unsafe'. I've had lots of colleagues
tell me they think it doesn't make sense... and I agree. It's a silly
name, and defies the industries established terminology for no reason.
We have exactly one opportunity to correct this, and this is it.