DIP 1028---Make @safe the Default---Community Review Round 1

Arine arine123445128843 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 13:57:00 UTC 2020

On Friday, 3 January 2020 at 11:20:35 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On Friday, 3 January 2020 at 11:20:35 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/2/2020 9:20 PM, Arine wrote:
>> On Friday, 3 January 2020 at 01:31:26 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> This DIP is not about changing how trusted code is inserted.
>>> If you'd like to discuss that, please start a separate
>>> thread. Please keep this thread on-topic about the DIP.
>>
>> If issues with @safe aren't going to be considered with this
>> DIP, then I'd say this DIP should be delayed until issues with
>> @safe are resolved before forcing it as the default.
>
> No. We don't have time to do all development serially

Then this would be better served as an opt in feature. This is
going to be a big breaking change, and if you are going to do the
same thing with `nothrow`, that's way too much breakage for very
little benefit just to follow a trend. Especially if steps aren't
going to be taken to ensure it is easy to maintain backwards
compatibility. As someone else mentions

@system:

does not give the same behavior and will still break code.

> Issues not in bugzilla do not get fixed. Please put all issues
> with @safe in bugzilla and mark them with the `safe` keyword.
>
> Then, when bringing up a problem or set of problems, link to
> the corresponding issues.
>
> There's NOTHING AT ALL anyone can do with statements like
> "needs to use a hack" because nobody has any idea what you're
> referring to.

There's probably already an issue filed for it. It comes up
often. I don't have the time right now to search through tens of
thousands of unmanaged issues for you. I already gave an example
in my preview post.