DIP 1028---Make @safe the Default---Community Review Round 1

monkyyy crazymonkyyy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 22:37:24 UTC 2020

I strongly oppose such a move.

I am in all likelyhood going to mark every line of code with
@trusted which is a bold face lie, as I appear to be the tiny
minority of people who actually likes C and uses pointers as the
most reliable tool in my tool box.

You will be increasing verbosity, and promoting lying code;
because this is just how I will behave, because I didn't and will
not ever be going to looking towards rust as the C replacement.
Yet C needs to be replaced and there isn't exactly a slew of
options. So why are you taking pages from rust?

I'm here because you offer compile time abstractions on simple
structs that are not the modern c++ mess, as modern cpus break
more and more assumptions C made, those abstracts will be nessery
with pointer math, casting and other "discouraged" code to get
the most speed. And people looking for the exact same thing I'm
looking for with that same style will lie to the compiler in the
exact same way.

Theres needs a non-verbose, non-lying way to opt-out, and
probably shouldn't be opt-in in the first place.

I would suggest module scope default behaviors.