DIP 1028---Make @safe the Default---Community Review Round 1

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Jan 3 22:59:53 UTC 2020

On 1/3/2020 5:57 AM, Arine wrote:
> Then this would be better served as an opt in feature.

It will be opt-in for a time, that's why it will be enabled with
-preview=safedefault

> This is going to be a big
> breaking change, and if you are going to do the same thing with `nothrow`,
> that's way too much breakage for very little benefit just to follow a trend.

There are compelling reasons for nothrow by default. I suggest deferring this
discussion until the DIP is put forward for review.

> Especially if steps aren't going to be taken to ensure it is easy to maintain
> backwards compatibility. As someone else mentions
>
> @system:
>
> does not give the same behavior and will still break code.

It's still easy to deal with.

> There's probably already an issue filed for it. It comes up often. I don't have
> the time right now to search through tens of thousands of unmanaged issues for
> you. I already gave an example in my preview post.

Spending time guessing and speculating on what it might be does a disservice to
those who do spend the time filing issues, on which I and others do spend effort
to address.

 > tens of thousands of unmanaged issues

This is why there are bugzilla keywords for categorizing issues, like `safe` for
all safety related issues:

https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&keywords=safe&keywords_type=allwords&list_id=229608&query_format=advanced