DIP 1028---Make @safe the Default---Community Review Round 1

Dominikus Dittes Scherkl dominikus at scherkl.de
Sat Jan 4 15:21:50 UTC 2020

On Friday, 3 January 2020 at 22:37:24 UTC, monkyyy wrote:
> I strongly oppose such a move.
>
> I am in all likelyhood going to mark every line of code with
> @trusted
What a crappy idea.
Why should that be necessary?

> You will be increasing verbosity, and promoting lying code;
No. You just need to add @system, and that only if you really did
use unsafe features in your code. Which in fact is not that
often, even in very low level code.

> Theres needs a non-verbose, non-lying way to opt-out, and
> probably shouldn't be opt-in in the first place.
There will be a compiler-option to opt out (after the years where
there is a compiler-option to opt-in). So no need to get upset
(yet).
And after those years I'm pretty sure you will have a new view on
that - when you're the only one still needing @system on more
than a hand full of functions

> I would suggest module scope default behaviors.
I personally don't like that, but it is there.
I just hope this will vanish over the time as I think it's crappy
style.