DIP 1028---Make @safe the Default---Community Review Round 1

Arine arine123445128843 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 16:16:30 UTC 2020

On Friday, 3 January 2020 at 22:59:53 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> This is going to be a big breaking change, and if you are
>> going to do the same thing with `nothrow`, that's way too much
>> breakage for very little benefit just to follow a trend.
>
> There are compelling reasons for nothrow by default. I suggest
> deferring this discussion until the DIP is put forward for
> review.

An expression comes to mind, "death by a thousand cuts". If you
are only going to look at each DIP on it's own, without also
taking into consideration other DIPs, then you aren't going to
realize just how much breakage the accumulation of all the DIPs
is actually causing. There's been a lot of DIPs that cause a
bunch of breaking changes recently. They are all small, but it's
all starting to add up. And the breakage is starting to outweigh
the benefits that they bring. To me personally for my projects,
they don't really bring any benefit, but they still break my code.