DIP 1028---Make @safe the Default---Community Review Round 1

Sebastiaan Koppe mail at skoppe.eu
Sat Jan 4 19:27:25 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 2 January 2020 at 09:47:48 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> This is the feedback thread for the first round of Community
> Review for DIP 1028, "Make @safe the Default":

I expected this to take at least another year or two. I am very
glad it is happening now.

Because of dip1000 I have been using @safe for a while and having
it be the default is the only thing that makes sense. Mainly
because of the fact that of all d code out there, only a small
part is @system (and it should decline relatively going forward),
which means that annotating the system parts is easier than
annotating the safe parts. Especially when you have the compiler
complain something isn't @safe versus pretending everything is
@system.

To abuse a Chinese proverb: the best time for @safe as default
was 20 years ago, the second best time is now.

With the preview and revert flags there is plenty time to develop
tools to automate the transition, as others have mentioned here
as well.