nothrow by default

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Jan 4 21:38:53 UTC 2020

On 1/4/2020 8:06 AM, Mike Parker wrote:
> On Saturday, 4 January 2020 at 16:05:10 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> Just wanted to bring this up, and not muddy the other thread.
>>
>> What do you put if you throw? @safe by default has alternatives. nothrow does
>> not. Are we going to get a new keyword/uda?
>>
>> -Steve
>
> Seems like we'd have to. Or on/off attribute parameters.

The first step is to add `throw` as a function attribute,

https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/pull/167

The next step will be to make nothrow the default. I have not prepared a DIP for
that yet, but will.

The short rationale is that exceptions being a "pay only if you use them" is a
complete fraud. They're expensive to support, meaning performance programs use
other ways of signalling errors and use nothrow.