nothrow by default

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 21:50:37 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 5 January 2020 at 21:12:39 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
> So I assumed error codes are common in modern C++, but I don't
> really have first-hand experience to say for sure.

Well, the fun thing about C++ is that nobody can tell you exactly
what modern C++ is, but it is easy to point out old-style C++...
Many patterns are outdated, but there are many different "modern"
patterns as well...

The C++ community is split down the middle. Those that use C++ as
designed (with exceptions), and those that use C++ as a C
replacement (without exceptions).

I guess some modules have  been viewed as low level and thus have
been designed to be usable by both groups.

You also have additions like std::optional that can be used if
you turn off exceptions. I'm sure we see more in that direction
if Rust becomes more popular...