nothrow by default

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 03:13:09 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 4 January 2020 at 16:05:10 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> Just wanted to bring this up, and not muddy the other thread.
>
> What do you put if you throw? @safe by default has
> alternatives. nothrow does not. Are we going to get a new
> keyword/uda?
>
> -Steve

WHY would nothrow by the default in the first place?

Exceptions are about the best error handling mechanism and there
is no better altnernative in D.

There is a rationale for making people use a safe subset
(supposed to be a good thing) but what is the rationale for
gently moving them to _avoid exceptions?_

The performance point is a bit strange since people that want
speed without correctness doesn't neither correctness, nor speed.
The solution is to make nothrow whatever is slow and will be in
benchmarks... Textbook premature optimization at the expense of
correctness.